[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Herron, David S" <DSHerron at nbc dot edu>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP through m0n0 not authenticating
 Date:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:18:24 -0600
I can't seem to get PPTP to work through m0n0wall.  I am trying to
connect from a host on my LAN connection to a Windows 2000 VPN server
outside (WAN) using the XP PPTP client.  If I place my client on the WAN
subnet (outside the firewall) everything works perfectly.  I am using
v1.1b16.  I am using captive Portal, everything there works as expected.
My rules (right now) are set to pass all packets (three rules):

WAN ALLOW Prot * Source * Port * Dest *

PPTP ALLOW Prot * Source * Port * Dest * ( I have tried with and without
this rule)

LAN ALLOW Prot * Source * Port * Dest *

Allow fragmented packets is on for all 3 rules, due to another msg in
the list concerning PPTP

Outbound NAT is checked 'Enable advanced outbound NAT'.

VPN: PPTP on m0n0 is set to 'OFF'.

VPN: IPSEC on m0n0 is not enabled.

Traffic shaping has been tried both enabled and disabled.

Generic PC version w/ CDROM and floppy

Client seems to connect, but can't authenticate.  It goes from
'Connecting to <vpn host name>' to 'Verifying username and password'.
It sits there until it times out.  Again, if the client is put on the
WAN side, the connection goes through perfectly.  M0n0 is being used
primarily for captive portal support for a campus wireless
implementation but LAN users on the wireless network (LAN side) will
need to VPN into corporate network (on other side of another firewall on
WAN connection) after captive portal allows their login and connection.

Any suggestions?

BTW Manuel - Amazing product, keep up the great work!

Thanks,

David Herron  --
dsherron{remove-spamfree}{-at-}{remove-nospam}nbc{-dot-}edu