[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help with configuration
 Date:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:18:42 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Patrik wrote:

> Im totally new with m0n0wall but have my router up and running.
> Its a WRAP with 3 interfaces (sis0 = LAN, sis1 = OPT1, sis2 = WAN).
> I also have a minipci wireless network card attached, so
> wi0 = OPT2.
>
> And I want to configure it as follows:
>
> I have two computers that I want to connect with ethernet. I thought
> of having them connected to two different interfaces, LAN and OPT1.
> I also have two laptops which to connect to OPT2.

If the sole purpose of using the two interfaces is to avoid buying a
switch, then I'd suggest just buying a switch. :-) They're not that
expensive, and you'll need it anyway as soon as you add a third machine.

> So WAN and LAN is up and running, thats why Im able to send this mail :)
> But the computer which is connected to OPT1 is not responding. Its a server
> and therefor I thought of having it on an own interface. But how am I supposed
> to configure this? I would like every computer to communicate to each other.
> My initial thought is to bridge LAN OPT1 and OPT2 but its only possible
> to bridge one interface to another.

AIUI FreeBSD doesn't allow a given interface to be both part of a bridge
and an interface that it uses for IP.  Since not having a LAN interface
isn't an option, that means that you can't bridge the LAN.

To make this work without bridging, you need to use different subnets for
the two interfaces (and the machines connected to them).  If the m0n0wall
is the default gateway for each subnet, then routing between the subnets
should work correctly, but you'll still have limitations regarding things
that expect to use broadcasts (e.g. NetBIOS broadcast name resolution).
You'll also need to be sure that your firewall config allows traffic
between OPT1 and LAN.

					Fred Wright