[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPPoE connection problems + Reset state == fixed?
 Date:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:23:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Rob Diehl wrote:

> I have been having intermittant connection problems with Bellsouth PPPoE
> DSL service using m0n0wall as my router. Occasionally, in my system logs
> I will notice something like this:
>
> Aug 5 12:47:05 	mpd: [pppoe] LCP: no reply to 1 echo request(s)
[...]
> Aug 5 12:47:45 	mpd: [pppoe] IPCP: LayerDown
>
> After a while, and a series of failed attempts to establish connection,
> the connection is re-established.
>
> The past couple of times this has happened, after resetting the NAT
> table and Firewall state table in the m0n0wall GUI, connection has
> almost immediately been re-established. I haven't done a formal
> investigation to find out if this is just a coincidence or something is
> happening to the state of m0n0wall that eventually causes connections to
> fail. Does anyone have any insight into this situation? How might I be
> able to further diagnose the problem and analyze the NAT/firewall tables
> to figure out what's happening? Thanks.

None of the above events relates to anything IP-based at all, so firewall
and NAT entries have nothing to do with it (unless they're using up too
much RAM or something).  It seems more likely that the server or the DSL
path is just flaky, and the apparent relation was a coincidence.

					Fred Wright