[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VoIP Help - Traffic Shaper
 Date:  Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:30:03 +1000
Hi Christian,

Please tell me this was a misprint.  Your VoIP provider wants you to
have 1/4 of the universe open to your VoIP computer?  Are they complete
idiots?  Do they not realize how infinitely stupid this is?

> What is the best way to configure the Traffic Shaper to
> ensure QoS? (1 or 2 queues, 2 or 4 pipes, 2 or 4 rules?)

Well in your case, first I'd look for a decent VoIP provider - they have
requirements that go strictly against all known forms of network
security, and this is totally unacceptable to the vast majority of the
world.

As for TS, well, I'd have 2 Pipes (1 in, 1 out) and 2 Queues in each (a
high priority VoIP queue, and a low priority all-else queue).  Then make
rules as appropriate.  If this is not the best way, I'm sure I'll see
some input in this list that corrects this.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                          Phone: +61 (0)7 3343 3889