[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VoIP Help - Traffic Shaper
 Date:  Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:30:03 +1000
Hi Christian,

Please tell me this was a misprint.  Your VoIP provider wants you to
have 1/4 of the universe open to your VoIP computer?  Are they complete
idiots?  Do they not realize how infinitely stupid this is?

> What is the best way to configure the Traffic Shaper to
> ensure QoS? (1 or 2 queues, 2 or 4 pipes, 2 or 4 rules?)

Well in your case, first I'd look for a decent VoIP provider - they have
requirements that go strictly against all known forms of network
security, and this is totally unacceptable to the vast majority of the

As for TS, well, I'd have 2 Pipes (1 in, 1 out) and 2 Queues in each (a
high priority VoIP queue, and a low priority all-else queue).  Then make
rules as appropriate.  If this is not the best way, I'm sure I'll see
some input in this list that corrects this.

> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Christian van Eeden
> Technical Director
> Infinite Bang Communications

Hilton Travis                          Phone: +61 (0)7 3343 3889