[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 To:  Jukka Salmi <j+m0n0wall at 2004 dot salmi dot ch>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] interfering filter rule
 Date:  Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:53:19 -0700
On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 12:07, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> > After httpd stopped responding, did the bridge still continue to pass
> > packets?
>
> No, all traffic is blocked until I restart the box.
>
> My LAN is now connected to the OPT1 interface which is bridged with WAN.
> The WAN interface is assigned an IP address to which I connect (webGUI)
> from the LAN. I noticed the following:
>
> - If both OPT1 and WAN interfaces are connected to networks (i.e. media
>   status is 'active') the problem does _not_ occur.
>
> - If the WAN interface is not connected (i.e. media status is 'no carrier'),
>   after running fine for a few minutes connection to the m0n0wall is lost
>   and no packet is passed anymore. Even restoring the connection to the
>   WAN doesn't help, the link will stay down (i.e. the link led stays off).
>
> When bridging OPT1 with LAN instead, assigning an IP to the LAN interface,
> and "reversing" the box (i.e. LAN <-> LAN-IF <-> OPT1-IF <-> WAN), I can
> connect to the LAN interface even if OPT1 has 'no carrier'.
>

> Any hints?

Very sorry for the delay in replying.  I can't think of any reason
off-hand for this behavior.  I have OPT1 bridged to WAN as you do...I
just temporarily disconnected my WAN port for a few seconds and
reconnected it.  So far, no signs of problems...it's been about two
minutes since I did this.

What kind of network interface are you using for the WAN interface?

(I'm running 1.1b16 on a Soekris net4501.)

Bruce.