[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jukka Salmi <j+m0n0wall at 2004 dot salmi dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] interfering filter rule
 Date:  Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:28:20 +0200
Bruce A. Mah --> m0n0wall (2004-08-14 18:53:19 -0700):
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 12:07, Jukka Salmi wrote:
>
> > > After httpd stopped responding, did the bridge still continue to pass
> > > packets?
> >
> > No, all traffic is blocked until I restart the box.
> >
> > My LAN is now connected to the OPT1 interface which is bridged with WAN.
> > The WAN interface is assigned an IP address to which I connect (webGUI)
> > from the LAN. I noticed the following:
> >
> > - If both OPT1 and WAN interfaces are connected to networks (i.e. media
> >   status is 'active') the problem does _not_ occur.
> >
> > - If the WAN interface is not connected (i.e. media status is 'no carrier'),
> >   after running fine for a few minutes connection to the m0n0wall is lost
> >   and no packet is passed anymore. Even restoring the connection to the
> >   WAN doesn't help, the link will stay down (i.e. the link led stays off).
> >
> > When bridging OPT1 with LAN instead, assigning an IP to the LAN interface,
> > and "reversing" the box (i.e. LAN <-> LAN-IF <-> OPT1-IF <-> WAN), I can
> > connect to the LAN interface even if OPT1 has 'no carrier'.
> >

> > Any hints?
>
> Very sorry for the delay in replying.  I can't think of any reason
> off-hand for this behavior.  I have OPT1 bridged to WAN as you do...I
> just temporarily disconnected my WAN port for a few seconds and
> reconnected it.  So far, no signs of problems...it's been about two
> minutes since I did this.

In my case, the network connection was lost about five minutes after I
disconnected the WAN interface.

> What kind of network interface are you using for the WAN interface?
>
> (I'm running 1.1b16 on a Soekris net4501.)

I was running 1.1b16 on a Soekris net4501... ;-) Now I'm running a slightly
modified 1.1b17 on a WRAP.1C-2; if I find enough time I'll try to reproduce
the problem with a regular 1.1b17 on this box.

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: