[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless g 54M
 Date:  Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:53:08 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Pat Ellison wrote:

> Are there any desktop PCI wireless Lan cards out there that
> work with M0N0 that support the newer g (54meg) protocol?

Not AFAIK.

> Using a 5Ghz D-link AP-5000 (access point) with a PCMCIA card in the laptop
> supports 74Mhz speed! really nice but...the PCMCIA card is getting flaky...
> (It served me well!) need replacement but they are almost $100.00
> I can get an access point and a card for that price.

Umm, so which is it, A or G?  802.11g is 2.4GHz.  If it's 5GHz, it's
802.11a.

Before salivating too much over G, you might want to look into:

1) How poor the range usually is for G (*much* shorter than B with the
same equipment).

2) How the presence of a single B station causes all the Gs to drop down
to B.  I'm not sure it even needs to be an "authorized" B station to have
this effect.

Oddly enough, I've heard that A tends to have better range than G, even
though one would expect it to be worse, all other things being
equal.  Maybe it's because it doesn't have to contend with Bluetooth,
cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc. :-)

					Fred Wright