[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] (newbie) few questions (shaper comparison, usb keyb not working, simplifying hw set-up) ....
 Date:  Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Petr Krenzelok wrote:

[...]
> ---- overall set-up simplification --------
>
> Well, so I have that ASUS DSL router, which blocks itself from time to
> time. Even Czech Telecom support told me to buy more profi router - they
> are so much screwing here in CZ that it is unbelievable. Then we will
> have some AP (eventually with router too). But none of those two provide
> us with traffic shaping, right? So I will eventually build m0n0wall
> router. Well - too much router in set-up, isnt it? Now - I am no network
> guru, so I might ask stupid questions, but is there any possibility of
> how to anyhow simplify the set-up?
>
> I would e.g. like to drop my ADSL router/modem, can m0n0wall router take
> its place? Well, but my ASUS WAN page contains info like:
>
> Encapsulation: PPPoA VC-Mux
> VPI: 8
> VCI: 48
> QoS Type: UBR
> PCR: 2000
>
> The problem is, that from splitter, there leads RJ 9(?) (typical tel.

RJ11.

> line) into ASUS, where should I connect it into my PC? Should I buy any
> DSL card, or? (I will use my favourite EPIA mini-itx box for router).
> Any suggestions here? Maybe I will have to let my ASUS DSL modem in the
> set-up?

You can't use DSL without a modem. :-)

I don't think there's any way to use a DSL modem card in m0n0wall at this
time, and they tend to be expensive, anyway.  You may be able to disable
the routing functions in your ASUS device, and use it just as a modem,
which may or may not cure your problem.  Or you could try a different
modem.  Most likely the modem would want you to use PPTP to connect to it
(since it's PPPoA on the line side), though perhaps it might use PPPoE.

					Fred Wright