[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Robert Staph" <rstaph at digitalimpreza dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless g 54M
 Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:23:44 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Wright" <fw at well dot com>
To: <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 3:53 PM

> Before salivating too much over G, you might want to look into:
>
> 1) How poor the range usually is for G (*much* shorter than B with the
> same equipment).

Actually I've found my Linksys WAP54G to have superior range than my Linksys
BEFW11S4.  I can get 36M out to where the B signal was dropping to 5M.  I
can also catch the signal about 50 feet further out with a more reliable
connection out there.  No path to either AP is LOS, B AP is in a service
room with metal stud frame walls, G AP is in a broom closet, same
construction.  Furthest point I can go in this building and stay connected
means about 5 or 6 metal stud walls.  Plus the G AP directly replaced where
the B AP used to be.  This is a renovated early 80's era bank building, so
far no signal outdoors, even with an AP next to an outside wall :) (no cell
phones work inside either, pagers do).

I do think that the seemingly RF isolated environment might have something
to do with it.  With wireless it sometimes pays to make sure you can return
something after you bought it just in case it doesn't work as expected in a
situation where you thought it would work fine.

> 2) How the presence of a single B station causes all the Gs to drop down
> to B.  I'm not sure it even needs to be an "authorized" B station to have
> this effect.

I have a B AP about 50-60 feet from my G AP, no issues getting beyond B
speeds when connected to the G AP.  Different SSID's and channels (1 and 6),
one WEP one not, one does its own DHCP other doesn't, two very different
configs.  However since they do not share a SSID, I would think it possible
a B station and G station using the same SSID and config might cause the G
client to dumb down and not talk G (or if the AP's are very, very close; or
both are passing as much traffic as they can handle).

-Rob