[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 To:  Monowall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Curious IP conflict problem
 Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:58:07 -0700
Here is my network info:
CPE Computer IP range first address:  	xx.xxx.xxx.146
CPE Computer IP range last address:	xx.xxx.xxx.150
CPE Computer subnet mask:		255.255.255.248 or /29
CPE Computer default gateway:		xx.xxx.xxx.145

Network description:
CPE --> 8 port HUB
                             --> netgear router WAN --> internal network
                             --> m0n0 WAN --> internal 192.168.1.x network
                             --> PC for testing with public IP

I'm currently having WAN network latency issues and have been trying
to troubleshoot.  For testing I have been trying to take a computer
from my LAN, assign it one of my external IP's and plug it in to the
WAN HUB where the m0n0 WAN is plugged in (I need to eliminate the
possibility of the m0n0 as being the problem).

However I am running into an IP conflict problem, and can't seem to
figure it out.  My m0n0 WAN is xx.xxx.xxx.146.  I also have another
client using xx.xxx.xxx.150.  When I try to assign xx.xxx.xxx.147-149
to my PC and plug it into my hub I get an IP conflict error.

My m0n0 should only be using one IP, however it seems as if it may be
using more than one.  (Side note: I was playing around with 1:1 and
server NAT a week or two ago, but have since deleted all of the
mappings.)  When I unplug the m0n0 from my WAN HUB and then plug in my
PC with an external IP address it works just fine.  However if I don't
unplug my m0n0 I get an IP conflict message.  How should I go about
troubleshooting this?  How can I tell for sure if my m0n0 is using
more than one IP?

Thanks for the help!