[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Falconer" <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz>
 To:  'Chet Harvey' <chet at pittech dot com>, 'Pat Ellison' <pat at zbit dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: FW: [m0n0wall] Wireless g 54M
 Date:  Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:13:55 +1200
My wireless experiences are somewhat different to the rest of you.

I've used a dlink 11 Mbit b 16-bit card for a year or so.  The throughput on
my P166 laptop was ~300-350 kbytes/sec, and my new celeron 300 was up to 450
kbytes/sec.  The AP was a dlink 22 mbit DWL-AP900+, or a dlink dwl-650 in a
linux box using hostAP.

Then I got a 22 mbit dlink dwl-660+ and a 54 mbit dlink G650 card (these
were also cardbus)  I borrowed a 54 Mbit dlink dwl-AP2000+ from work too.
Effective throughput was up to 1800 kbytes a second, provided that I was
about two metres from the AP.  If I moved off that magic line performance
dropped to as low as 6 mbit in the same room.  I used to get a solid
connection from the bedroom at 11 Mbit, but with the 54 Mbit stuff - no
dice.

I'd love a faster connection... Moving data around takes too long at 11 mbit
(effective speed of 4 Mbit ethernet)  but I'd rather have more flexibility.
I can always plug a wire into a wall socket if necessary....  But sometimes
its easier to start a copy then go have dinner/whatever.