[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 To:  Monowall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Irregularities pinging from m0n0 and internal network...
 Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:27:26 -0700
I am continuously pinging an IP address about 3 hops away from me from
my internally NAT'ed PC.  When I try to ping that same address from
the m0n0wall ping page, it returns nothing.  That is, until I stop
pinging from my internal machine.  Then when I ping from m0n0 it goes
just fine.  Is this normal behavior (some weird NAT characteristic)?

By the way, my stupid mistake from earlier didn't fully clear up all
of the problems I have been having.  I'm still trying to determine if
it is a local configuration problem or an ISP problem.  My ping times
are all over the place for hosts only 3 hops away (still on my ISP's
private network)!

They claim everything looks good from their end, but then every other
day they find a problem, fix it, and ask if I'm doing ok now.  I am
starting to think it may be a config problem on their network
somewhere.  They just switched backbone providers, and the problem may
have occured near that time (I'm not possitive on the timing).

Thanks for your help!