[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mohammad Hasieb Ali <alimohammad at comcast dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  help integrating m0n0wall into my network
 Date:  Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:52:47 -0500
Hello, I installed m0n0wall (took hd out and wrote image to it, avoided
cdrom)
and Im not exactly the network professional. I think the element I am
missing
is a crossover cable, but Im not 100% sure, and I was going to ask if
someone
could help me with this:

I have a switch (5 port, Supporting MDIX and something else (MDIX
labeled as X, the
other is II) MDIX is the mode I am looking for, at least I think. port 5
is the upload
port. I have a m0n0wall box with two NICS, (both supported under fbsd,
actually,
both are even based on the realtek 8139). Now, is it possible for me to
plug my modem
into one NIC on my m0n0wall, and plug my switch (possibly upload
port@MDIX)  into the other?

Heres my "theory"  (although, i am unable to test it due to the lack of
a crimper atm)

CABLE MODEM                 -(patch)>            NIC1
SWITCH (PORT5@MDIX)    -(crossover)>    NIC2
and then I plug in everything using patch cables into my hub (the
remaining four ports)?

If this is the correct way to do it, Why do i Need Crossover cables (im
not complaining, I can
crimp them if i need it, but im just curious, <3 knowledge)

I understand the physical differences, but what does that do for the
transfer?

Thanks Alot,
                   Mohammad Ali

P.S. Sorry for the offtopic discussion :( I know this isnt exactly the
place for network help, just m0n0wall