[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Radoslaw Krupa <aeon at tech dot us dot edu dot pl>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaper adress range
 Date:  Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:02:37 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Radoslaw Krupa wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to shape traffic on range of IP address? I would like to
> have some host (ie. 10.0.1.10~10.0.1.99) have 128 kB/s per host and some
> (ie. 10.0.1.100~10.0.1.120) to have 256/s kB per host. And some users demand
> more for theirs specific needs (ie me playing Counter-Strike :)). How can I
> setup that ?

Sure. Add two shaper rules, one with source any and a destination of the
first subnet (you can't enter ranges, only subnets - use a subnet
calculator - you may have to adjust your ranges a bit so you can make them
fit between subnet boundaries), mask = destination, bandwidth = 128.
Same for the second rule, but use the other subnet and bandwidth = 256. No

> One more thing comes to my head - for security reasons it will be good to
> have a password on console. How about that Manuel?

Not planned. Physical access = booom. Security through obscurity = not
desirable. And even on those routers where there is a console password,
there is always a reset switch that you can use once you have physical
access to it. So they're not better at all - they just take more work in
case you forget the password or something.

- Manuel