[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  William Bloom <wbloom at eldocomp dot com>
 Subject:  physdiskwrite
 Date:  Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:52:41 -0700
I have been trying to install a boot image on my Compact Flash card.  I
have a PCMCIA (People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms) to CF
adapter, which I stuck in a notebook computer.

When I run physdiskwrite, it asks which disk I want to select and gives me
a choice of (0..-1).  There appears no correct answer.  Anything typed
repeats the prompt.  I also downloaded the prior version (0.3) which
behaves the same.

I Googled (is that a verb?) for raw disk tools, but the only ones I found
all insist that the target drive be A: or B:, or at least a floppy.  Using
the "substitute" DOS command wouldn't get around that requirement.

The CF card is a Lexar 48MB card, which claims to be USB enabled (I'm not
sure what that means).

Windows sees the CF correctly, and will read and write it.

Is there a man page for physdiskwrite?  Do I need to load Cygwin and use
dd?  Do I need to boot FreeBSD on a notebook?

          -crl
   Eldorado
Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite