[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  "awiesmann at swordlord dot org" <awiesmann at swordlord dot org>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Block Verisign Wildcard? Was: Re: suggestionson blocking messenger
 Date:  Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:50:13 -0700
At 05:39 PM 10/15/2003 +0200, Adrian Wiesmann wrote:
>This blocking talk actually brings me to something else: Would it be easy
>(and a need) to do some DNS Injection on m0n0wall by default for all
>Verisign Wildchard answers?
>
>I think about an option which can be enabled/disabled which listens for
>all DNS traffic and removes/overwrites/replaces answers for verisigns
>wildchard search page.

There is a cleaner solution, already implemented by the Internet Software
Consortium (ISC) who maintain the Berkeley Internet Name Daemon (BIND),
also known as /usr/sbin/named in the FreeBSD world.

They added a new declaration for a nameserver, which makes it a delegate
only.  That is, they don't accept A records from such a server, only referrals.

Update your named to BIND-9 (in the ports collection) and you're covered.

Check http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/delegation-only.html

          -crl
   Eldorado
Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100