[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Helpdesk \(BE\)" <helpdesk at oce dot be>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Funky netowrk routing question... Is this possible with m0n0wall?
 Date:  Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:28:16 -0700
That's my problem... a) won't work - ports are limited... also, it's not
really that simple... there are potentially hundreds of hosts involved...

b) might work - that was my goal... might be possible, but if I'm using
public IP's, wasting netowrk and gateway addresses (4 IP's for each host)
would be a problem.

I've heard of /32 subnetting and wonder if that is what I need, but can't
find it documented anywhere how it works or if BSD supports the concept.

Like if hosts were:
       IP          Netmask         Gateway
Host A 192.168.1.4 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1
Host B 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1

I think the theory is that host A forward to the gateway anything bound for
host B, which would echo it back...

The simplest way to describe the problem might be to consider a switch with
vlans... this is sort of what exists, but I CAN NOT control or change it.
       VLAN A     VLAN B ......
Port1    X          X
Port2    X          -
Port3    -          X

If my router is at port 1, I need to firewall, fitler and reflect any
traffic from port2 that I want to reach port3.

Thanks for your thoughts.

m/
website at www.oce.be