[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Monowall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to subnet OPT1 and still offer DHCP for each subnet?
 Date:  Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:43:40 -0400
Joe Lagreca wrote:

>After I posted this message to the group I thought of increasing the
>subnet size to give each office more address.  I think I will do that.
>
>I'm unclear on your suggestion about not having the linksys do DHCP.
>I don't really want the offices networks to be NAT behind a NAT.  So I
>will do the NAT, and run it to the LAN of the offices.  I will then
>turn DHCP on the LAN of the Linksys and it can assign the IP addresses
>for the subnet I assign them.  I would love to have my m0n0 handle the
>whole thing, but I dont see how m0n0 can assign DHCP to multiple
>subnets.  If someone knows how to have m0n0 to handle DHCP for
>multiple subnets I would love to hear your suggestion.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Joe

Actually I was suggesting load a DHCP server implementation on one of
the machines on that subnet and eliminate the need for the Linksys since
it sounded like you weren't going to use the WAN interface at all
anyway.  The extra overhead to do DHCP for a small lan is minimal.

--
Melvin Backus
Principal Wizard