[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] A strange Problem ( Bridgeing needed? )
 Date:  Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Melvin Backus wrote:
> MyLists at fantasymail dot de wrote:
> >
> >I used monowall first time yesterday and imho
> >its very good (thanks @Developer(s) ). My problem
> >is that i tryed to enable bridgeing on LAN/WAN
> >Interfaces but i didnt found a way in GUI to config
> >that. Has it technical reasons or why is that not
> >possible? I want to config the following ...
[...]
> I believe that m0n0 will only do bridging if there are 3 or more
> interfaces.  If memory serves you can do what you're trying to do, but
> you'll need to add a 3rd NIC, even though you don't use it.

AFAIK you *do* need to use it.  AIUI the FreeBSD bridging code doesn't
support bridging an interface that's also a "real IP" interface, even
though there's no theoretical reason why that couldn't work.  Since you
need the LAN interface for administration, it can't be bridged.  You can,
however, connect two physical interfaces to the LAN; just be sure the
bridged interface isn't trying to do ARP, etc.

					Fred Wright