[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ping Kwong" <kwongp at midtown dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Manuel's stance on OpenVPN
 Date:  Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:43:08 -0700
I just read part 2 of tomsnetworking.com article.  At the end the author
mentions what's in store for m0n0wall.  I took particular interest in the
mention of OpenVPN.

I know someone is working on an add-on module at this point and it was
mentioned that Manuel wanted to keep the image size down and that was why a
module was created.

So I took a look at the To do/Wishlist and OpenVPN was listed on there.  I
looked at the archives and saw that Manuel was receptive to the idea early
on.  Has that changed?  I guess I'm getting mixed vibes as to what is
happening with OpenVPN and would rather hear it from the horses mouth rather
than speculate.

There have been some good arguments as to why it shouldn't be included.  One
being that it just doesn't fit into the scheme of working well with embedded
devices like the Soekris and WRAP platform.

I realize the m0n0wall project has grown beyond its original scope with
generic-pc and cd-rom support, but wouldn't a much powerful PC with more
memory be a better fit for using OpenVPN?  Image size shouldn't be that much
of an issue anymore along with some of the memory problems people have had
trying to upgrade to a newer firmware.  Even from Manuel's survey, the PC
has 61% share of installs.  The next closest competitor is the Soekris
platform at 23%.

Will we ever officially see OpenVPN support in the codebase?