[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Thomas Hertz" <term at cynisk dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Several dynamic IPs on WAN?
 Date:  Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:38:15 +0200
> Am Fr, den 20.08.2004 schrieb Thomas Hertz um 8:34:
> > I'm in the process of changing my ISP from DSL with one static IP to
> 100mbps
> > Ethernet with five dynamic, DHCP assigned, addresses. I'm not quite sure
> how
> > this would work, but does anyone know of a way to assign more than one
> IP to
> > the same physical interface? It would be neat to use 1:1 NAT.
>
> Yes, you have to use proxy arp. Search this list for or for really
> understanding take a look at
> http://www.thinkingsecure.com/docs/TCPIP-Illustrated-1/arp_addr.htm#4_6
>
> Ciao ...
> 	... PIT ...

[Thomas Hertz once mumbled:]

That would be a breeze if my addresses were static, but I've yet to find a
dhcp client that supports several _dynamic_ addresses! It should even be
possible using a client identifier instead of the interface MAC (if the dhcp
server supports it, that I do not know).

<Thinking aloud>
Now that I've had my breakfast coffee (and more), and can think more
clearly, I think it would be better to just bridge the OPT1 interface with
WAN and enable filtering bridge. Will this work with traffic shaping? It
probably would. Apart from that bridging would work for me, it sure would be
interesting project to replace the dhcp client on the m0n0wall with one that
supported multiple addresses. Maybe one of the dhcp-proxies would make a
good starting point?
</Thinking aloud>

// Thomas Hertz