[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  kwongp at midtown dot net, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Manuel's stance on OpenVPN
 Date:  Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:05:26 -0700
> So I took a look at the To do/Wishlist and OpenVPN was listed on there.  I
> looked at the archives and saw that Manuel was receptive to the idea early
> on.  Has that changed?  I guess I'm getting mixed vibes as to what is
> happening with OpenVPN and would rather hear it from the horses
> mouth rather
> than speculate.

What's wrong with a module?

A module can become "official" once the developer is finished getting it to
work, and provides a path for people to start testing, without burdening
Manuel with the task... I've heard of people working on scripts and other
systems to build new images from various modules, and once people are able
to flash form their own sources, they will be able to build a firewall with
exactly what they need and deploy with ease.

Most systems that fail, fail because of bounded rationality - no one
programmer can keep track of all the pieces, and bugs creap in. Keeping a
lean system has always been a goal, and unless something is universally
needed or incredibly small and TOTALLY secure, there are many who would
object.

The easier it is for people to customize, the more I agree with these
people.

It does not, in my humble opinion have to be an
off-the-shelf-packaged-product that someone with NO real knowlege of
networks or systems can push a button and install - that's what a $50 USD
linksys or other is for.

My 2 pennies ;-)
m/