[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 To:  Wh0CareZ <Wh0CareZ at gmx dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] A strange Problem ( Bridgeing needed? )
 Date:  Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:11:42 -0700
On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 00:32, Wh0CareZ wrote:

> I am not 100 % sure whether you understand my problem.
> I dont want to bridge 3 interfaces just only 2.

I understand your problem perfectly.  You want to implement filtered
bridging between two interfaces.  You want to overcome a limitation in
m0n0wall that requires the use of three network interfaces in a filtered
bridging configuration.

(At least I hope you want filtered bridging...you have never written the
words "filtered bridging" anywhere.  If you don't need filtering and
just want to tie together two Ethernets, this whole exercise is
pointless.)

> But bridgeing
> LAN / WAN Interfaces seams not  possible in the gui.

Correct.  m0n0wall does not allow this.

On my network, I have my WAN and OPT1 interfaces bridged together, and
the LAN interface runs to a dedicated management network.  I don't
*want* my end hosts to be able to access the Web GUI.

> That bridgeing shit drives me crazy ...
> Currently i have for temp the router and switch connected
> directly because it dont work over monowall. If i remove that
> lan cable the online connection is broken. By the way - i added
> rules to lan/wan interface accept anything from any to any. Only
> for temp - that i am able to ping and make tests. Normaly i saw
> that monowall block everything if there is no rule added.
>
> Any idea?

Both Fred Wright and I have explained to you that, due to implementation
details, filtered bridging as implemented in m0n0wall requires three
network interfaces.  This is also described (somewhere) on the
documentation site.  I don't see why you don't understand this, but
please just accept it, OK?

In another email you wrote that this is "Very stupid" and now you call
this "sh*t".  That's a pretty rude way to refer to a piece of software
you received at no cost to you.  The person who implemented filtered
bridging contributed it back to the m0n0wall community because a number
of people found it useful.  He doesn't work for you, and he doesn't get
paid to take insults from you.  If you haven't figured it out already, I
am that person.

At this point, your options are:

1) Use m0n0wall's filtered bridging "as is", living with its
limitations.

2) Fix its shortcomings yourself (or pay someone else to fix it for
you).

3) Go use something else that isn't so "stupid".

Making rude comments is not an option.

Bruce.