[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  VLAN questions
 Date:  Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:55:29 -0600
I haven't had the opportunity to play with m0n0's VLAN support yet, so
please be patient if I'm asking any dumb questions.

My understanding is that from a firewall/NAT/ruleset point of view
m0n0wall treats VLANs as seperate ethernet devices? -- Is that correct?

Do I still need seperate WAN and LAN  NICs, or can they be VLANs on the
same NIC? -- The goal is simply to free up a few ports on my switch
(Which has both 802.1q and port-based VLAN support).

Since I'm running 100Mb NICs, and only have 5Mb/1Mb of bandwidth
available it's impossible for me to even come close to choking a single
NIC, so I don't see a significant speed problem here.

--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig