[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Read Receipt (way off topic)
 Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:47:16 -0400
James W. McKeand wrote:

>I know this is a silly thing to post to a mailing list and is so far off
>topic that it will take centuries for the light of this topic to reach the
>normal topic of this list.

Yes, it is. :)

>I have read several emails from this list with read receipt requests. I do
>not think the senders are really intending to receive all the replies that
>they could be receiving. I think the senders are new to posting to lists and
>are not overriding their mail programs default settings. I realize I can
>have my mail program ignore read receipt, but there are some cases when my
>clients want to know when/if I read an email they sent me.

If your clients need to know that you've read their email, then reply, and let them know you've seen
it and will get back to them under whatever terms you've agreed to with them.  The read receipt is
useless in this day and age.  Some servers trigger it as soon as they receive the mail whether the
receipient has seen it or not, and most email clients allow for preview of the messages and you may
well have read it weeks ago and not triggered the read receipt request.  Either way, it is totally
unreliable as a means of knowing anything other than that the return address in your email is
valid.:)

>Maybe adding "no read receipts" to the "No attachments and no HTML mail
>please." line on http://m0n0.ch/wall/mailinglist.php?

Yeah, OK, it bugs me too, so I have no real objections.

--
Melvin Backus
Principal Wizard