[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Alex M <pantheous at hotmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 behind a Linksys BEFSR41
 Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:39:17 -0400
Alex M wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just setup m0n0wall on an old P233 with two datacom nics. It runs
> fine.
>
> I have an ntl connection with a cable modem in an stb. This feeds into
> the wan port on a linksys router. My m0n0wall pc is patched to the
> router, and then cross wired from m0n0 is my main windows pc. It is an
> odd setup I admit, from what I gather m0n0 would usually be receiving
> the connection first, then feeding to a switch for a hub network like
> mine. I am off to university next month which is why I built m0n0, as
> to plug into my rooms uni network port, and to protect my pc.
>
> m0n0 currently says both connections are up and my pc can login to the
> wall via the network ip i assigned to m0n0. m0n0 to pc is assigned as
> LAN, router to m0n0 as WAN.
>
> Can anyone give me any guidence in how to setup the firewall so it
> will work behind the router, and ultimately on the university network.
>
> Thanks

OK, I'm a bit confused, but I think what you've got now is:

internet ---- cable modem ---- Linksys ---- m0n0 ---- PC

Assuming that's correct, and that it works, it shouldn't require any
changes, as what you'll have when you get to school is:

internet ---- univ-network-stuff ---- m0n0 ---- PC

I think your current config is fine.  The cable modem and linksys go
away, just plug the m0n0 into the cat5 drop in your room at school.

Is your m0n0 WAN interface getting it's IP via DHCP?  If so, you should
be all set.  If not, then you'll likely have to change that when you get
there, depending on how they assign IP addresses.

--
Melvin Backus
Principal Wizard