[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Bottrill" <david at bottrill dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 behind a Linksys BEFSR41
 Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:48:16 +0100 (BST)
Alex M said:
> Hi,
>
> I've just setup m0n0wall on an old P233 with two datacom nics. It runs
> fine.
>
> I have an ntl connection with a cable modem in an stb. This feeds into the
> wan port on a linksys router. My m0n0wall pc is patched to the router, and
> then cross wired from m0n0 is my main windows pc. It is an odd setup I
> admit, from what I gather m0n0 would usually be receiving the connection
> first, then feeding to a switch for a hub network like mine. I am off to
> university next month which is why I built m0n0, as to plug into my rooms
> uni network port, and to protect my pc.
>
> m0n0 currently says both connections are up and my pc can login to the
> wall
> via the network ip i assigned to m0n0. m0n0 to pc is assigned as LAN,
> router
> to m0n0 as WAN.
>
> Can anyone give me any guidence in how to setup the firewall so it will
> work
> behind the router, and ultimately on the university network.
>
> Thanks

I have a NTL connection, running M0n0 1.0. My firewall is connected
directly to the cable modem, however I have used the Linksys router in the
past. Quite honestly I would connect the M0n0wall directly to the Cable
modem, however you may need to change the MAC address of the M0n0wall
(this can be done in the GUI) to be the same as your existing Linksys box,
this is because most cable modems will only remeber 1 or 2 MAC addresses.

If you want to use the Linksys and the M0n0wall you will need to set a
static IP address on the M0n0 and the Linksys and set the Linksys to
forward all incomming connections to the M0n0, Linksys refer to this as
something like a DMZ machine, I forget how they actually word this in the
GUI.

As you will not be using DHCP to supply and IP address to the M0n0 you
will need to manually setup the default gateway (Linksys) and DNS servers
on the M0n0. For NTL the DNS servers are 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100.

Hope that helps.

--
David Bottrill

david at bottrill dot org