[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New Soekris Hardware
 Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:15:57 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, David Cook wrote:

> First off are the lan1621 & lan1641, PCI Dual and Quad ethernet boards at
> $63 & $89 respectively. They are based on the National Semiconductor DP83816
> ethernet controller chip which, on a very quick dip into Google, should be
> supported by m0n0wall by the sis(4) driver. (Manuel - maybe you can confirm
> as one of the postings I discovered was yours :-)). See
> http://www.soekris.com/lan16x1.htm for more info.

Yes, the DP83816 is just an updated version of the DP83815.  The main
functional difference is that the PCI is now 5V-tolerant.  The only
programming differences are on the same subtle level as the differences
between different revs of the DP83815, e.g. which magic undocumented
numbers should get loaded into which magic undocumented registers after a
reset.

The current sis driver isn't entirely correct in this area, even for the
DP83815, not to mention having a useless form of the short-cable fix.
Another thing on the "to do" list. :-)

					Fred Wright