[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] A strange Problem ( Bridgeing needed? )
 Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:53:36 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Stefan wrote:

> Well the router is just there for the static internet connection
> Its a T1 Line and use 1:1 for static ips - without nat.
> The router by it self dont do any "firewall jobs"..
>
> Monowall is just between that internet router and our switch
> that is used lan internal. All computer are connected with the
> switch. Now everything clearly explained?

Since you're already going through a router, you're presumably not using
any non-IP protocols, so you should be able to use routing rather than
bridging.  But what type of NAT (or none) you need depends on how the
addressing is set up.  The default setup does the usual "oubound NAT", so
that all LAN machines can make outgoing connections, while incoming
connections to serveres are only possible by explicit configuration.  If
NAT is a problem, then you may need a different config.

					Fred Wright