[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>, Roy Walker <rwalker at miracomnetwork dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] 1.2 Wireless support
 Date:  Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:44:55 +0200
On 24.08.2004 10:29 -0700, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

> I think the idea has some merit - not sure what Manuel's thought
> are?

It's simple: as long as the box to the right on
http://www.freebsd.org still says "Production Release: 4.x", I don't
think we'll switch. I've burned my fingers with 5.x before, and I'm
simply not convinced that it's as reliable as 4.x yet.

Besides, there's not so much more hardware support in 5.x anyway
(agreed, ath(4) would be nice) - for example, AFAIR the USB 802.11g
support mentioned is not part of FreeBSD 5, but a separate
independent project - too much of those, and the m0n0wall kernel (and
userland) ends up being a patchwork. I'd prefer to use only what The
FreeBSD Project offers in terms of kernel drivers...

- Manuel