[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>, "Roy Walker" <rwalker at miracomnetwork dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] 1.2 Wireless support
 Date:  Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:34:10 -0700
> > I think the idea has some merit - not sure what Manuel's thought
> > are?
>
> It's simple: as long as the box to the right on
> http://www.freebsd.org still says "Production Release: 4.x", I don't
> think we'll switch. I've burned my fingers with 5.x before, and I'm
> simply not convinced that it's as reliable as 4.x yet.
>
> Besides, there's not so much more hardware support in 5.x anyway
> (agreed, ath(4) would be nice) - for example, AFAIR the USB 802.11g
> support mentioned is not part of FreeBSD 5, but a separate
> independent project - too much of those, and the m0n0wall kernel (and
> userland) ends up being a patchwork. I'd prefer to use only what The
> FreeBSD Project offers in terms of kernel drivers...

Granted, and I thought you had said something similar before... I was just
thinking that there is probably a lot of low level changes (ipfw vs. ipfw2
and so on) that will require a fair bit of rework - I wasn't sure what your
state of the conversion was - with mention of it being attempted before - or
a bad experience with 5.x before, I didn't know if there was a lot of code
to write or if you could switch yourself in a weekend after the stable
release.

I for one look forward to the driver support. Every new hardware I've tried
on 4.x (and failed) detects and runs on 5.x, so I suspect there are a few
new products the version change will bring us.

Just trying to facilitate those that would to help themselves ;-)

m/