[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jason J. Ellingson" <jason at ellingson dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Logs
 Date:  Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:07:31 -0500
I have a /28 IP block

WAN and DMZ are bridged (filtered bridge)
LAN and DMZ are on same switch (all my servers have both a 192.x.x.x IP and
a real IP)

LAN has two rules:
FROM 192.x.x.x * TO * * ALLOW NOLOG
FROM * * TO * * BLOCK NOLOG

DMZ has similar rules:
FROM 209.x.x.x * TO * * ALLOW NOLOG
FROM * * TO * * BLOCK NOLOG

I added the two blocks without logging because the switch sometimes still
sends packets out all its ports... so the LAN port sees a DMZ packet on
occasion.

Here's the problem... m0n0wall is still logging the 209.x.x.x packets that
show up on the LAN port instead of not logging them like it should.

Same for DMZ... it logs seeing 192.x.x.x packets.

The packets ARE NOT trying to be routed... for example... LAN sees packets
from 209.x.x.1 to 209.x.x.2... It shouldn't try to do anything with it...
but it still logs it.  Any ideas?

I'm sure an option at some point is to actually use two switches and two
NICs in each computer... but in the meantime...

Jason J Ellingson
Technical Consultant

615.301.1682 : nashville
612.605.1132 : minneapolis