[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Kitchens" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Direct TV
 Date:  Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:18:23 -0400
Hi all,
I was at a clients place today and ran into something I've not done before.
He has a Direct TV net connection that is connected to his XP box via USB,
he previously had a cable connection and he used a DLink Cable router with
wireless AP. With the Direct TV now, his network is not able to get to the
internet. He has 3 PC's all with wireless NIC's and the one with the USB
connection also has a standard NIC which is connected to the DLink for
management. All PC's get dhcp from the dlink but I can't change the gateway
on it so the others can get to the web. The DTV connection uses a static IP
of 10.x.x.x and the dlink serves up 192.168.x.x IP's. I tried using XP's
bridging ability to connect the WAN and wireless networks with no luck.

I can hear the question now, what does this have to do with monowall? What I
would like to do is to replace the dlink with a Soekris 4501 with a Netgate
WIC and use monowall. My question is has anyone used a Direct TV web
connection with monowall and how would I get the USB connection to feed the
WAN? There is no RJ-45 socket on the DTV unit. I don't really want to setup
an entire computer for the monowall but if thats the only way I guess I
could.

Dave