[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'David Kitchens'" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Direct TV
 Date:  Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:28:09 -0400
I don't like ICS either. I just had a thought, if you bridge the interfaces
- both interfaces use the same IP (10.x.x.x). This is aggravated by the fact
that the DHCP on the DLink will still be giving out itself as the gateway...
On a different subnet (192.168.x.x) If change the Dlink's IP to 10.x.x.x
subnet and set a static default route to the PC with the USB/DTV. Thus the
other PC's will be able to access the internet via PC with the USB DTV
connection. You could test this by statically set the IP on one of the
wireless PC, using the bridged PC as the gateway. But, can the DLink handle
the default route? Can the DTV device handle multiple PCs or is expecting
only one PC?

The big question in my mind is will m0n0 see a USB device on a 4801? I think
the posts I had read was a PC image using a USB/Ethernet adaptor - I have
not been able to find them...

Good luck - you should have fun with this one...

James W. McKeand