[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Log question ("stray irq 7")
 Date:  Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:49:56 -0400
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:03:49 +0200, Michael Scheer <listen at autechre dot de> wrote:
> Michael Scheer <listen at autechre dot de> wrote:
>
> > whats this log entry about?
> >
> >| /kernel: too many stray irq 7's; not logging any more
> >
> > (there were some "/kernel: stray irq 7" before)
> >
> > I'm using m0n0 1.1 on a net4501.

I have seen these messages on Soekris boards numerous times,
especially when stress testing the devices.

Poul-Henning Kamp's explanation here, from Soekris list.
http://lists.forko.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2002-September/000818.html

Doesn't really explain why it happens, but what it means.

I've seen this on FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x on Soekris 4501 and 4801.  It's
never caused any problems for me, and if I had to guess, I would say
it is caused by the low cost network interfaces used on the Soekris
devices.  Some sort of hardware bug somewhere.  Posting to the
soekris-tech list would probably get you a more informed response.
This isn't a m0n0wall-specific issue.

-Chris