[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andy Holyer <andyh at hhbb dot co dot uk>
 To:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 Cc:  "'m0n0wall'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Format CF on OS X
 Date:  Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:57:42 +0100
On 6 Aug 2004, at 18:25, Aaron wrote:

> Hello all. I am trying to fix a problem here. I somehow messed up my
> Soekris 4501 by bridging the WAN and OPT interface. Now the LAN
> interface doesn't assign IPs and doesn't respond to anything even if
> manually assigned. The bridging works fine, but I still want to play
> and can't. My issue is that can't connect to the console port here (no
> PC) and can't reset the config since the LAN interface doesn't
> respond.
>
> My question:
> Can I format the CF card using a card reader under OS X? Is there
> something else I can do?

It works fine, but you have to jump through a few hoops to get round OS
X's automatic mounting of cards.

What you do is:

Plug the card in via the card reader. Use the Disk utility to see where
it's been mounted - different brands of card seem to come up as
different disks, but usually it's something like /dev/disk2 or
/dev/disk3.

Unmount the card, if Os X has mounted it - you can use Disk Utility to
do this.

Since Disk Utility can read .iso images you should be able to use that,
but I haven't got that to work, so I have to use terminal.

Run a terminal, su to root, so you can write to the card and do the
same as the Unix instructions say:

# pkunzip <mono iso file> | dd of=/dev/disk2 bs=16K

(Assuming the card appeared as /dev/disk2).

Then there will be 30 seconds of activity for the card reader, and it's
done.

---
Andy Holyer, Technical stuff
Hedgehog Broadband, 11 Marlborough Place Brighton BN1 1UB
08451 260895 x 241