[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vincent Fleuranceau <vincent at bikost dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal Question
 Date:  Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:59:23 +0200
-------- Message original --------

> Hi I upgraded my m0n0wall to 1.1, saw some new futures. Also "captive
> portal".
> Can somebody tell me what that is, and how to "use" it ?

What it is:

"Captive Portal is a technique which forces client PC to see a web page
(usually for authentification) before surfing the Internet normally. You
will see Captive Portal in most WiFi Hotspot. It can be used to control
wired access (e.g. Apartment Houses, business center, "open" Ethernet
jacks) as well."

Source:
   http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Captive%20portal

See for example:
   http://www.nocat.net (linux)

How to use it:
Read the info on the WebGUI and give it a try (on OPT interface)!

-- Vincent