[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PPPoE problems anyone?
 Date:  Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:38:05 +0200
We recently discovered that david me's PPPoE problems (being able to
connect with m0n0wall 1.0, but not 1.1) were related to two MPD
options that were introduced after 1.0 and that request the
primary/secondary DNS servers from the peer. Apparently, with these
options specified, he wasn't able to connect; removing them solved
the issue. Looking at MPD code, it seems that MPD shouldn't insist on
getting the DNS servers if the peer rejects the request, and now
(once more) it's not clear whether it's MPD or his ISP's PPP server
that is at fault.

Is there anybody else that can't connect with PPPoE and m0n0wall 1.1
(while 1.0 works)?

To -dev: if somebody on this list is looking for something to do/help
with, investigating this issue would be available. Any takers? It's
about the "set ipcp enable req-pri-dns" and "set ipcp enable
req-sec-dns" MPD options. Of course we could just make m0n0wall not
generate those MPD options if the "Allow DNS server list to be
overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN" option is not checked, but maybe
there's a better solution.

- Manuel