[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Rothenberg" <seth at pachai dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PPTP or IPSec - two goals
 Date:  Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:51:41 -0400 (EDT)
Greetings,
I have 2 goals for m0n0wall that seem to be almost
within reach.  Maybe they are, I just need to reach differently...

1) WLAN (OPT1) PPTP route to WAN
I am trying to make a WISP (wireless ISP) co-op.
Everyone wants to know about security.  m0n0wall can offer it.

However, I think I need another rule, and can't think what it is....
I can build a tunnel from the Wireless network to the LAN -
so, I can http://10.248.xxx.yyy - even though my real address is
10.248.aaa.bbb - the m0n0 PPTP server works.
Now, I need a rule for those WLAN packets to be allowed
out onto the WAN....and, to complicate matters, the WAN
is  another 10.248.ccc.ddd - though that should not matter -
It will route upstream automagically.

The originating client is MS for many members/customers

2) Road Warrior - I want a secure way to connect to my LAN
from any of the ports - WAN, WLAN, WLAN2, LAN2

Note - I *almost* have this now, as PPTP gives me one interface access.
However, a) I need to choose whether I will want secure access via
the WAN, or secure access via the WLAN - I would need the latter
if I was working at a downstream site.

Note2 - scenario 2 preferably should be supported both under
Monopolistic Software and under FOSS.   The one laptop is
already running Mandrake, a second laptop will be running Debian soon.

(Or, should I install FreeBSD so I can have a dev machine ?:-)

Thanks
Seth

PS - I was looking at the wiki, has some nice things.
If anyone has answers to above, feel free to Wiki it and post URL.
I'll try to figure out where to add my 1.5 cents soon -
I made a list of what is needed for a Wireless Relay node
on my own wiki.