[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ifconfig mediatopts as a feature?
 Date:  Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:33:01 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, gramels wrote:

> as far as I have seen there is no way to set the interface speed in
> the web gui. Sure, I can do ist using the https://wall/exec.php
> function with ifconfig, but it will be gone after reboot.
>
> Modifing rc.conf is not a real option for the embedded (wrap) version.

You can put it in the config using the <shellcmd></shellcmd> facility (in
the <system> section), but that would require cycling it down and up after
it's come up, which may or may not cause trouble for something.

> Reason for me is that I would reduce the speed on the connection to my
> cable modem to 10mbit half duplex sinxe I abuse a non cat5 cable (the
> ISDN wires in my flat) which is more reliable on lower speeds, but I
> am sure that there will be other reasons why people would need it
> (beside crappy cable modems, switches, ...).

Actually, 10full should be fine if wire quality is the only issue, but I
doubt your link is fast enough to saturate 10half.

You could just stick a 10Mb hub in between.  These days you can probably
find those things in dumpsters. :-)

					Fred Wright