[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Direct TV
 Date:  Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, David Kitchens wrote:

> I was trying to avoid ICS at all costs but I guess that would be an option
> if nothing else. I must have had brain fade when there to not remember that
> but I've never liked it much. I tried bridging but that didn't work. Now the
> question is can a 4801 use the USB as a WAN port? Another client has a 4801
> and I don't remember it coming up in the setup menu as a valid interface.
> Hmm, a USB/ethernet adaptor would be nice..., google here I come...

I think you'd be hard pressed to find *that* kind of USB/Ethernet
adapter.  Normally those look like USB *devices*, and connect to USB
*computers*.  To plug into a USB modem you'd need an adapter that looked
like a USB *host*.  Those USB A and B connectors aren't different for
nothing. :-)

USB is a pretty awful interface for networking.  Guess those DirecTV
people have their heads in dark places.

					Fred Wright