[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  M0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] interfaces status inaccuracies?
 Date:  Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:50:02 -0400
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:43:50 -0400, Bryan Brayton <bryan at sonicburst dot net> wrote:

> From the way I read that, it looks like you've uploaded 2.6 GB to the
> internet (2.6 GB out on WAN) which corresponds almost perfectly to the
> 2.55 GB coming IN on your LAN interface (remember, that is coming in
> from the INSIDE, ie: from you to mono to go out to the internet).  But
> that seems unreasonable to me too, unless you are uploading a lot.  The
> 39.77 MB out on the LAN is out to your local network, not out to the
> internet....it should correspond with how much you download.  So, yeah,
> if you download just a little but upload a lot, those numbers come close
> to making sense.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds like I was assuming it was backwards since I download more than
I upload, though probably not by as much of a margin as most people.
Now that I look at it again, that makes sense assuming m0n0wall uses
in/out terminology the same way Cisco does (i.e. from the perspective
of the device.  Inbound is coming into the firewall on that interface,
outbound is going out from the firewall on that interface)

The numbers make even less sense now though, unless the counters roll
over when they get to a certain point.  I've definitely downloaded
more than 39.77 MB from the internet to my LAN in the 5.5 days those
counters should cover.  Probably more like 4 GB if I had to guess.

-Chris