[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bryan Brayton" <bryan at sonicburst dot net>
 To:  "Fred Wright" <fw at well dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] How to deny a client multiple dhcp addresses
 Date:  Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:08:59 -0400
Actually, I'm not worried about the bandwidth at all.  I just put that
in there as mostly an (apparently) lame attempt at some humor :)  The
bandwidth is fully controlled through m0n0 and I can get my hands on a
separate packetshaper, should the need arise.

As of yet, the clients have not been using both IPs.  My only concern
there would be that the client is using 2 (or more) IPs to get more than
their fair share of bandwidth.  Our switches can also throttle bandwidth
to an arbitrary level on an individual port level...I could always go
that route, but that would also needlessly limit LAN communication
speeds.  Of course, none of them are using the LAN for legit reasons
anyway, but that's another topic.  On a side note, anyone need a copy of
spiderman2.divx j/k :)

I am a little bit worried about the IP address exhaustion, but only a
very little.  My biggest reason to stop this is mostly of the "I don't
like seeing that in the logs" variety.  Also, it would be good to stop
just in case one of the clients somehow gets smarter and tries to use
multiple IPs.

So, researching dhcpd.conf turns up this option:

one-lease-per-client on;

I have not researched on exactly what criteria it determines a client
uniquely.

From the dhcpd.conf man page:

one-lease-per-client flag;

If this flag is enabled, whenever a client sends a DHCPREQUEST for a
particular lease, the server will automatically free any other leases
the client holds. This presumes that when the client sends a
DHCPREQUEST, it has forgotten any lease not mentioned in the DHCPREQUEST
- i.e., the client has only a single network interface and it does not
remember leases it's holding on networks to which it is not currently
attached. Neither of these assumptions are guaranteed or provable, so we
urge caution in the use of this statement.

So basically it's just dumping the other leases, regardless.  That
doesn't mean the client has actually released the IP, but it's a start
in the right direction.

Perhaps this could be a simple checkbox option in the next m0n0 beta?

-Bryan