[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Seth Rothenberg" <seth at pachai dot net>
 To:  "Seth Rothenberg" <seth at pachai dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  routing - looks good ?
 Date:  Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:07:32 -0400 (EDT)
> Maybe just deleting the route
>    31
> since the only route needed by the pptp client is the
> More current stats below.
> I'm going to go try this, but I'll send this out, since
> trying it will probably knock me off the network for a while.

I tried the above, so my routing table on Windoze does
not have a default route directly to the router,
it only has default route to the ( my PPTP address),
and it is also listed as Default Gateway....

And then, you know how water penetrates a basement
through the walls...but it takes time....same thing here....

I turned on a bunch of Logs in the F/W Rules, and I THINK
I can see the packets coming from the tunnel out to the WAN.

For the archives, this is what it looks like.

Coming out of the tunnel, looking for the WAN Router
^  23:51:47.624992  ng1 	ICMP
Coming out of the WAN, for the WAN Router
^  23:51:47.625332  WAN 	ICMP

From the WAN Router, looking for the tunnel
(with m0n0wall doing the return-trip NAT automagically:-)
^  23:51:47.626105    WAN   ICMP

The next one is unclear, but I am going to assume this is
reporting what's happening inside the tunnel:
^  23:51:47.626339    ng1   ICMP

So, short of snooping the airwaves, I am fairly confident
that the traffic is being protected.....

The only remaining question is, for windows "geeks", can I
re-establish the routes just the way they are (aren't, actually)?
i.e., delete the  gateway route
(almost immediately when the tunnel comes up)

Thanks to all who helped - and to anyone else who can answer
the last question....