[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Falconer" <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz>
 To:  'rjspence' <rjspence at tampabay dot rr dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Response from ISP "No" RE: [m0n0wall] Two IPs, one cablemodem
 Date:  Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:09:20 +1200
rjspence said:
> C. Falconer wrote:
>> Gidday all - Is it possible for m0n0wall to handle two IPs on one
>> cablemodem? I want to do this:
>>
>> {Teh `net}
>>    ep0 10 Mbit ISA 3com nic
>> m0n0wall 1.1 pc img on a PII 266 with 192 Mb, 8 Mb CF boot.
>>  |         |      |   |           |
>> xl0       xl1    xl2 xl3         wi0
>>  |         |      x   x           |
>>  |         |    Not Used   Wireless on Captive Portal
>>  |         |
>>  |    LUG server (one real world IP)
>> My lan 10.28.0.0/16
>>
>> So that the LUG server has its own IP and all ports on that IP are 1:1
>> NAT to that machine, and everything from 10.28.0.0/16 works like
>> normal?

> Sure. You can have a hundred IP's.  What's the issue?

I've had a response from my ISP - they will not provide a second public IP
on the cablemodem.  I would have to get a second connection, cablemodem,
monthly fee, etc, which I can't afford.

So now I have fewer options.  Having both criggie.dyndns.org and
shell.canterbury.lug.org.nz resolve to 202.0.42.116 is easy.  Can anything
do server NAT based on the hostname asked for?  I think not.

I could simply use a bunch of other ports for services, so that ssh is on
port 27 and so on.  However that probably won't look good for web pages.
Can m0n0wall and apache handle it by having a VirtualHost section then
redirecting to a different internal IP?

Likewise the MTA will need to know how to do similar funky things.

Am I pissing in the wind?