[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Setting up WAN Interface
 Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:16:50 -0400
I have a client that has a DSL line that uses PPPOE (EarthLink, I think).
His WAN interface was assigned the first IP. We setup a Server NAT mapping
the second IP provided by the ISP to the internal IP of their mail server.
We set up Inbound NAT rules (and corresponding Firewall rules) to allow
traffic into this LAN IP and everything worked (I think I opened SMTP only
for the internal address). Because of the PPPOE we did not need the Proxy
ARP.

If the ISP is using PPPOE (i.e. you have to install winpoet or something on
client machines) and they tell you what Public IPs you will be assigned,
this may work for you...

James W. McKeand