[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Brian Buys" <bbuys at tritel dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  DNS forwarding issue
 Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:37:02 -0600
Hello all,

Recently I upgraded to the 1.1 version of m0n0 (cd-rom image) and I have been very impressed.  An
interesting thing has happend though, and I was hoping to get some insight as to what might be going

A couple of days ago, my dhcp clients lost DNS services.  I have DNS forwarding enabled on m0n0, and
am using it as my DHCP server.  I went through a number of steps to regain the DNS functions through
the DHCP, but to no avial.  Rebooted the router (several times), disabled/re-enabled DNS forwarding,
deleted/re-entered DNS server entries in the General setup page, ipconfig /release/renew/flushdns on
the clients, rebooted the clients, etc.  Currently, I have hardcoded the DNS servers in each client
as a work-around.

I tried going back to 1.0 and restoring my old config, and that didn't help either.  I even went so
far as to build a new config.xml from the ground-up last night, so now I'm not even sure it's a
problem with m0n0.  If it is not, then I apologize for being off-topic, but I would like to be sure
that m0n0 is doing what it is supposed to.

So I guess I have a two-part question, really.  First, how can I tell if DNS forwarding is working
properly in m0n0.  Second, is there anything in the following config info that looks out-of-place?

Below you will find the full text from my resolv.conf and dhcpd.conf files, as well as related
segments of the config.xml file.

Thanks in advance,

domain domain.com
nameserver option domain-name "domain.com";
default-lease-time 7200;
max-lease-time 86400;
log-facility local7;
ddns-update-style none;
subnet netmask {
	pool {
	option routers;
	option domain-name-servers;
	default-lease-time 72000;
	max-lease-time 86400;
} <system>

            <descr>DNS Entry for FTP Server</descr>
            <descr>DNS entry for Mail Server</descr>
            <descr>DNS Entry for WWW Server</descr>