[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Pantheous <pantheous at hotmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 3 nics - a wan and two lans
 Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:54:04 -0400
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:13:58 +0100, Pantheous <pantheous at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> I have just added a third nic to my m0n0wall. I would like to have one
> nic accepting my inet connection, and the other two serving my two pcs.
> Obviously I would like both pcs on a LAN being able to share resources,
> and sharing the WAN connection. All three nics are showing up and being
> recognised.
>
> Do I need to bridge the Optional 1 interface (OPT1) with the LAN
> interface in order to get this to work, or assign the OPT1 interface its
> own ip, and create its own set of firewall rules?

Depends on how you want to set it up.  You can bridge opt1 with LAN
and setup the appropriate firewall rules so LAN and OPT1 hosts can
talk to each other, or you can set up each on its own private subnet
and route between the interfaces as desired.  If you don't have two
decent sized networks on the interfaces, you will probably want to
just bridge them.  If they are two decent sized networks (> 50 hosts
each, I'd say) you probably want to route for broadcast control
amongst other purposes.

-Chris