[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dennis" <dhosh at gaslightmedia dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] 4521 + 2 Radios + Monowall Captive Portal = Reboot?
 Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:52:40 -0500
That's OK ...I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandalier, when it comes
to wireless setup...If I'm setting up an improper config, then I should
know about it! :-)

Although the radios may interfere with each other inside the case, I
would expect the proximity and diretion of the antennas to be the major
source of interferance.  Otherwise, there is much less of a reason to
have a box (like Soekris 4521, etc) that would take multiple radios.
Granted, the slots don't have to be used for just radios, but I suspect
that's the most common use.

We have set up 2 radios in the past, in a single Soekris box .. One as a
WAN Internet feed, and another as a wireless link to a separate network.
Could be a customer, could be a branch office in the next
building/block, etc.  Local network is fed via the LAN.

THIS install, however, I belive the intent is to have 2 radios on 2
separate channels, with some antenna separation, to help cover dead
spots.  I don't really consider it 'diversity'.. That may be better done
with a single radio and dual antennas.  These 2 radios may be 2 separate
links going in two separate directions, with sectorized antennas.  Both
hot-spots, connected off to the public internet, after being authorized
via RADIUS server .. Or credit card authentication, etc.

While rambling on here, I just thought .. Might I be able to implement
Captive Portal on one OPT interface, bridge it with another, to get the
Captive Portal on both ports, then route out the WAN, if/when
authenticated?

Thanks!
Dennis