[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Kevin Coleman" <kevin at gabu dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] 2 adsl
 Date:  Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:26:21 -0700
I think that is overcomplicated... a logical segmentation could work too?

A single DHCP server can be set to hand different settings to different
users... you can create two address pools I think, or map specific MAC's to
specific networks.... then with ONE physical network, and two mono's with a
LAN and a WAN interface, one configured as gateway for network 1, the other
for network 2...

No fancy vlan switch, no 3 leg networks - no segmentation...

You still get the benefit of two routers, which gives you some redundancy,
and by editing the DHCP settings, you could switch all users to a single
network (in case of network failure)  by just having the users reboot
(assuming windows users without admin rights) / re-aquire their addresses.

The DHCP server config is a little harrier than most this way - would need
to be manual I think, but simple enough if you read the man and look at the
samples.

m/